For information on services for older adults, please contact Pam Jacobsen, Director of the Retiree and Seniors Program and Helen Mary Stevick Senior Citizens Center, 2102 Windsor Place, C at 217-359-6500. RSVP and the Stevick Center are administered by the Family Service of Champaign County.
National Day of Service 2021 Patriot Day project.
- RSVP, the Stevick Senior Center, and The News-Gazette collect personal care and other basic needs items that are shipped to the Veterans Affairs Illiana Health Care System in Danville and CU at Home. Collection boxes are available through October 29th at the Stevick Center, 2102 Windsor Place, C; and The News-Gazette, 201 Devonshire Drive, C. Call 217-359-6500 for a list of required and permitted articles.
STEVICK CENTER ACTIVITIES
Knitting or crocheting for those in need:
Meditative movement with yoga:
- 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., second and fourth Tuesday. Call 217-359-6500.
- Thursdays 12 p.m. to 3 p.m.
HOT LUNCH PROGRAM
The Peace Meal Nutrition Program offers hot lunches daily at 11:30 a.m. for a small donation and one-day pre-registration at locations in Champaign, Urbana, Rantoul, Sidney (home delivery only), Mahomet (home delivery only), and Homer.
Call 800-543-1770 for reservations. Reservations for Monday must be made by Friday noon.
NOTE: There will be no change to home deliveries, but meeting places will provide a take-away meal.
- Pork chop in sauce, mashed potatoes, lima beans, rolls, cranberries.
- Spaghetti with meat sauce, romaine lettuce, seasoned green beans, bread rolls, oatmeal and raisin cook.
- Saucy ham loaf, sweet potatoes, seasoned peas, corn bread, overnight fruit salad.
- BBQ meatballs, baked potatoes, spinach, Texas toast, chunky applesauce.
- Regional specialties are served at the choice of the chef.
If you’re 55 years or older and want to volunteer in your community, RSVP (funded by AmeriCorps Seniors and the Illinois Department on Aging) provides a unique connection with local nonprofits in need of help. We offer support, benefits and a secure connection to partner sites. Contact Pam Jacobsen at [email protected] or 217-359-6500.
- RSVP of Champaign, Douglas and Piatt Counties / AmeriCorps Senior Volunteers is your connection to over 100 nonprofits. Please contact Pam Jacobsen at [email protected] or call 217-359-6500 for information on volunteers.
- Seeking help with folding papers at the Stevick Pet Center. Call Vicky for more information. Bring a friend, fold papers, and chat.
READ project. Training new tutors to help adults with literacy, elementary, math and English skills. The training is easy and online. One-to-One Lessons on Zoom; in person or in the classroom after COVID-19 security measures. Contact Vicky for details.
Feeding our children.
- I am looking for help sorting groceries on Tuesdays from 3pm to 4.30pm and delivery drivers on Tuesdays and Wednesdays. Contact Vicky at 217-359-6500.
Food for seniors.
- At 7 a.m. on the second and fourth Tuesday of the month, boxes of food had to be unloaded for repackaging and delivery to senior citizens suffering from food shortages. Must be able to lift 30 to 40 pounds. Contact Robbie Edwards at RSVP for information.
CRIS HEALTHY AGING
Mastery program for aging.
- The program has moved to Zoom and now meets every Wednesday at 10 a.m. Like our CRIS Healthy-Aging Center of Champaign Facebook page to stay informed of changes and updates.
Vouchers from the farmers’ market.
- CRIS can help you take this opportunity to get fresh produce. Call CRIS today at 217-355-1543 and ask about our farmers market coupons.
Supervisor. Our care team is here to help you support and care for your loved ones. If you are helping an older adult aged 60 or over, there are limited resources to provide resources to those in need. Our team can help with relief care, support groups, and educational opportunities. Call Michael C today at 217-355-1543.